Google constantly updates its search engine algorithms to provide more accurate search results. The latest update, earlier announced , has been touted as the biggest in years. The update affects how Google ranks websites and the kinds of content that appear in search results. Therefore, it’s essential to be aware of the changes and how they will affect your website. In this blog post, we’ll discuss what’s new with Google’s latest search engine update and how it will impact your website. Most importantly, we will discuss how to stay up-to-date on future updates.
1. The New Update Places a Greater Emphasis on Mobile-first Indexing
Google’s latest search engine update is placing a greater emphasis on mobile-first indexing. It means Google will begin indexing web pages primarily based on their mobile versions. It will no longer be necessary to have separate URLs for your site’s desktop and mobile versions. If there is a need to do so, Google will use your website’s mobile version for ranking.
The move towards mobile-first indexing is indicative of the more significant shift toward mobile usage in recent years. As of 2018, over half of all web traffic came from smartphones and tablets. This trend has steadily grown over the past several years, and Google’s decision to prioritize mobile-first indexing reflects this.
Google will still index desktop versions of webpages, but its algorithms designs will prioritize the mobile version more. As a result, if your site lacks a mobile version or isn’t optimized for mobile devices, you will see a decline in organic search rankings. It’s, therefore, imperative for businesses to ensure their sites are optimized for both desktop and mobile devices to stay competitive in search results.
2. The Search Engine Update Will Roll Out Gradually Over the Course of Several months
Google has confirmed that their new search engine update will be rolling out gradually over the course of several months. This gradual adjustment gives businesses and webmasters time to adjust their strategies and content to remain competitive and maximize their visibility in search engine results.
Google has said it will notify users through the Google Search Console whenever a significant algorithmic change has been released. This is so webmasters and SEOs can monitor their website performance, understand how changes have impacted them, and make adjustments if needed.
For most businesses, the impact of this update should be felt over time. However, it’s essential to keep an eye on your website’s performance during this period in order to stay ahead of the curve and adjust your strategy as needed.
To be on the safe side, we strongly advise that you work with us during this period. We are sure to help you understand the update’s impact and suggest ways to improve your website’s performance.
3. Google is now using machine learning to understand user intent better
Google is working to improve the accuracy and relevancy of its search engine results. Plus, the most recent update has incorporated machine learning technology. It means that the search engine will better understand user intent by analyzing the language used in their searches. Also, by evaluating how likely a particular query is related to other queries google will understand user intent better.
For instance, Google can now use machine learning to determine that the user is looking for an online store that sells that product. An example is if a user searches for “best online shopping sites” and follows up with a query about a particular product. By understanding the user’s intent, the search engine can better determine which results are most relevant to the query and display them accordingly.
4. The new update will impact both organic and paid search results
Google’s latest update places a greater emphasis on mobile-first indexing, which will directly impact how businesses and users rank. Google is now using machine learning to understand user intent better, meaning that paid search results will be based more on relevance than in the past. This will result in higher click-through rates, as users will be more likely to click on a result that aligns with their search intent.
Organic search results will also be affected, as mobile-first indexing emphasizes website speed and design. This means that websites optimized for mobile devices will have a better chance of appearing higher in organic search results. Additionally, websites that offer an intuitive and engaging user experience will have a greater chance of ranking higher, as Google’s algorithm now considers user engagement.
Overall, the update should benefit businesses and users, ensuring more relevant and valuable search results.
It’s essential for businesses to stay up-to-date with the latest updates and make sure their websites are optimized for mobile devices. Doing so will help them stay ahead of the competition and gain more visibility in the SERPs.
How to Prepare for the New Google Search Engine Update
- Ensure your website is optimized for mobile: it means ensuring that your content is easy to view on mobile devices. Plus, that you have a responsive design that adjusts based on the device being used.
- Check your page loading speed: Google has recently been paying closer attention to page load times when ranking websites, so it’s important to check your page loading speed and make improvements where necessary.
- Ensure high-quality content: High-quality content has always been a priority for Google, and it will continue to be important under the new update. Make sure that you are creating content that is useful and relevant to your users in order to rank well in the SERPs
- Check your structured data markup: Structured data markup is a way of adding additional information to a website in order for search engines to better understand the content. Check your structured data markup and ensure that it is up to date, as it can have a significant impact on how well your website ranks in the search engine results pages.
- Focus on building quality backlinks: Quality backlinks include backlinks from reputable sources in order to improve your rankings. Of course, different backlinks have different ratings. So, ensure you backlinks to a high authority website like an internationally recognized website.
To Wrap It Up
Take time to optimize your website for mobile to prepare for Google’s latest search engine update and rank well in the SERPs. Of course, you cannot do this without an SEO agency. Leave us to handle your website. It is what we do best